Saturday, November 13, 2010

Brick Lane Beigel Bake: A Proper Bagel in Crumpet Territory

I know what you're thinking. A proper Jewish bakery in London? What? Quizzical faces all around, right? Believe it, folks. Enter Brick Lane Beigel Bake. Turns out, Shoreditch, where the spot is located, used to be a Jewish outpost in London. Who knew? Odd spelling aside (must be a Yiddish UK thing), I had to check it out.

Brick Lane Beigel Bake (don't pretend that isn't really fun to say) is situated in the middle of one of the most vibrant markets in the city, on Sundays at least. That's the day when Petticoat Market, both Old and New Spitalfields, Brick Lane and several other unnamed markets all spring to live within walking distance of each other, featuring plenty of good bargains, unusual finds, copious ethnic street food, and crowds of both artsy tourists and funky locals alike. And yet, in the middle of all this hustle and bustle, the unassuming Bake still has a queue out the door most of the time. It doesn't look like much from the outside, or the inside either for that matter, but something good must be going on to draw that kind of a crowd.

Bagel enthusiast with a healthy appetite and sense of curiosity that I am, I had to taste it for myself. Imagine my delight when I discovered not only is the Bake delicious, but reasonably priced and open 24 hours. Their salt beef is apparently the stuff of legend. I wouldn't know, not being a salt beef fan, but their smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel? To die for, at a bank-breaking pound sixty-five. Lunch for under two quid? Sign me up, mate.

Even after my taste treat rode around in my bag for an hour as I carted it home, this baby was delectable. Everything a bagel should be, in fact: eggshell-hard on the outside, chewy on the inside, with a thick schmear of real, rich cream cheese (none of that low-fat stuff for Brick Lane), and three, count 'em, three long slices of smoked salmon topping it all off. The verdict? This is one sandwich I'm more than happy to queue up for. Especially if I find some loose change in my pocket.

1 comment:

  1. "A proper Jewish bakery in London?" How naive! Jews have been operating markets in the area since before the 17th century, way back when New York was New Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete