Sunday, October 3, 2010

Like a Kid in a Sweet Shop

Holy shoe heaven, batman! Yesterday, I took myself shopping in Central London (strictly a reconnaissance mission) and happened to stumble into Selfridge's on Oxford Street which just opened the world's largest shoe gallery. The gallery boasts over 4,000 pairs of shoes in a twisting, turning labyrinth of a shoe-lover's paradise.

The website boasts a map of the gallery, which includes side "apartments" for all our favorite designers: Gucci, Dior, Christian Louboutin, Prada, Fendi, Jimmy Choo, etc. Each designer was given total creative control over their gallery, which gives each nook it's own unique atmosphere. Those lowly "lower end" designers who just made it to the center gallery are labeled unassumingly with a little placard bearing their name, just in case the iconic designs of Marc by Marc Jacobs (cute flats this season) or Stella McCartney (oh, those over-the-knee boots!) aren't enough. Oh yeah, the gang's all here, and I can barely afford to look at any of them.

As a dedicated shoe afficionado, I could have easily spent a few weeks (and my entire life savings, projected about 50 years and allowing for inflation) in this shoe department. Fortunately for my wallet, unfortunately for my closet, my budget (and lack of credit card) managed to restrain me. Still, for anyone who's interested in a bit of fashionable sight-seeing, or just wants to hold those luscious leopard print Jimmy Choo pumps in their sweaty little hands, Selfridge's is definitely good for a gander.


No comments:

Post a Comment