Monday, October 18, 2010

To market, to market

Spitalfield market from above. Check out those stands! 
Yesterday, upon the excellent suggestion of my flatmate Mags, I packed up my camera and my sense of adventure and went a-marketing at Spitalfield and Brick Lane markets in London. The two have very distinct, very different styles, and a little something for every taste along the way.

Spitalfied Market reminds me of a craft show: most of the goods are homemade and many err on the expensive side. Looking for a peacock feather collar for your winter coat? How about a hand-spun mohair shawl? A necklace made of old spoons and an antique pocket watch?



Check Spitalfield. The market is mostly indoors, in a cavernous mall-like structure lined with local chain restaurants and buzzing with locals and tourists alike.  There are two sections: the one labeled "Old Spitalfield" proved more my style, as that one mingled craftsy-type stalls with food vendors hawking their wares, many offering samples and free demonstrations to passers-by, in hopes of generating some business for themselves.

a photo of cameras! Look how witty I can be! 
Brick Lane market is mostly vintage clothing, jewelry, bags and scarves, and an absolute treasure trove for those willing to put in a little elbow grease. The sprawling indoor market was absolutely crammed to the gills with every style you could imagine, from hand-tooled leather bags, Russian scarves, jewelry made out of legos and children's toys and the quintessentially British graphic t-shirts. Brick Lane's food area boasted cuisine from a variety of ethnicities to tempt the palate: Mexican, Japanese, Spanish, Thai, Mongolian, French, Ethiopian, you name it. The sights and smells were enticing, but this was a photo mission, not a stuff-my-face mission, so I trolled with my lens, not my stomach  (this time!)

 The street swarmed with artsy-type people of all ages and origins, although the Brick Lane market appeared to cater much more to the younger, London-dwelling set than Spitalfield. I got the sense Brick Lane was the hep spot for those who have mastered the art of London Vintage Couture: spend thousands of pounds looking like you don't really care what you wear, add a generous dose of self-importance, stir in a dash of disdain for anyone whose outfit doesn't look like a hodge podge of decades and influences, and smoke like a chimney while munching a vegan Thai wrap. But I digress.

As you can see, the market scene is a photographer's paradise: the colors, textures, patterns, and quirky still-lifes just waiting to be snapped could easily eat an afternoon. And for the photog who also likes to shop? Stop the presses, and hope I don't have any work to do, because this girl's day is gone. I didn't snag any good deals this time around, but now that I know the ways of the market scene, I know where I'm going for Christmas shopping. Forget Oxford Street, Brick Lane is the place to get good deals on unique finds. After all, for the savvy bargain-hunter, that's what shopping in the city is all about.
they didn't have enough table space, apparently. 
om non nom. Italian tasty treats. 

glasses made of old bottles? How cool is that?


Some seriously awesome purses. My wallet cried a little.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!!
    I saw your picture of the super cute purses at the Bricklane market! Do you have any idea of what the brand or lable is called? I bought one those myself last summer and now it's starting to fall apart since I've been using is too much, and I have no clue of who made it or anything. I would be forever thankfull if you could help me!
    Thanks!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete